2 slices fresh white bread
¼ cup milk
3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided
½ cup finely chopped onion
A pinch plus 1 teaspoon salt
750gm ground beef
2 large egg yolks
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ cup all-purpose flour
3 cups beef broth
¼ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Tear the bread into pieces and place in a small mixing bowl along with the milk. Set aside.
3. Sweat the onion with 1 tbs butter until soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Combine the bread and milk mixture, ground beef, egg yolks, salt, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, and onions in a mixer and beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Weigh 30gm portions of each meatball and place on a sheet pan. Shape the meatballs into rounds.
6. Heat the remaining butter in the saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the meatballs and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the meatballs to an ovenproof dish using a slotted spoon and place in the warmed oven.
7. Decrease the heat to low and add the flour to the pan or skillet. Whisk until lightly browned, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the beef stock and whisk until sauce begins to thicken.
8. Add the cream and continue to cook until the gravy reaches the desired consistency. Remove the meatballs from the oven, cover with the gravy and serve.