Apple Pie Cupcakes
These cupcakes are made with store-bought cinnamon rolls that have been flattened into discs and placed into cupcake cups. Then, we fill them with sautéed apples and top with a streusel topping. When chopping your apples, it can be helpful to spritz them with a little lemon juice (teaspoon or so). This way, they will not brown or discolor.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced in to 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
Juice of half lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 can (12.4 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add apples; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, the cinnamon and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix butter, flour, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and walnuts with fork or hands until crumbly. Set aside.
- Separate dough into 8 rolls. Flatten each into 4-inch round; place in muffin cup. Divide apple filling evenly onto rolls in muffin cups. Divide flour mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and tops are lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from muffin cups. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Serve cupcakes topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of syrup.