Almond Vanilla Macaron
1 1/4 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
4 egg whites
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
½ cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- Grease 3 large baking trays. Line with baking paper.
- Sift almond meal and icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved. Add vanilla. Beat until just combined. Fold in half the almond mixture until just combined. Fold in remaining mixture until combined.
- Use a wide tip piping bag to pipe 4 cm rounds mixture onto prepared trays, making sure to leave 2 inches between each.
- Tap trays gently and set aside for 1 hour.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter and vanilla with an electric mixer for 6-8 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar and beat for a further 10 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Place the mixture in a piping bag and place in the fridge until needed.
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Bake macarons, 1 tray at a time, for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops are firm.
- Cool on trays. Carefully transfer to a wire rack.
- Pipe or spread 1/2 teaspoon filling over flat sides of half the macaroons.
- Sandwich with remaining macarons.
- Set aside until filling sets.